For a summary of specific real estate provisions in the "Fiscal Cliff" bill, click here.
Whether the delayed purchase is for a home to live in as your principal residence or to use as rental property, taking action sooner is better than later.
Reasons to buy now:
- The house payment with taxes and insurance is probably cheaper than the rent.
- Rents will continue to rise making the difference even greater in the future.
- Lock-in the principal & interest payment with a fixed-rate mortgage.
- 30 year mortgage terms are available to most borrowers.
- The mortgage interest deduction is intact for the majority of taxpayers.
- The capital gain exclusion for principal residences up to $500,000 remains in place.
- Prices are going up due to lower inventories and several years of low housing starts.
Contact me about any specific questions you have or information you need.