- Change your filter every 90 days; every 30 days if you have shedding pets.
- Maintain at least two feet of clearance around outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps.
- Don't allow leaves, grass clippings, lint or other things to block circulation of coils.
- Inspect insulation on refrigerant lines leading into house monthly and replace if missing or damaged.
Annually, in spring
- Confirm that outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps are on level pads.
- Pour bleach in the air conditioner's condensation drain to clear mold and algae which can cause a clog.
- Avoid closing more than 20% of a home's registers to keep from overworking the system.
- Replace the battery in the home's carbon monoxide detector.
Even with the attention that perfoming this list will provide, it is recommended that you have your units serviced annually by a licensed contractor. Furnaces can be inspected for carbon monoxide leaks and preventative maintenance may help avoid costly repairs. Click Here if you'd like a recommendation.