Preparing for the change of seasons can make your home more comfortable and protect your investment. Regular maintenance extends the various components of a home and can generate savings in operating costs while avoiding expensive replacements.
- Weather strips around doors and windows should be checked for possible air leaks.
- Caulking around windows and doors should seal out moisture and air leaks.
- HVAC should be inspected and serviced by a professional annually.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be tested regularly.
- Ductwork and supply lines from water heaters should be insulated.
- Fireplace chimneys should be cleaned regularly and fireplaces should be inspected for cracks in mortar and to see if the damper closes properly.
- Gutters should be free of leaves and debris to prevent rainwater build-up.
- Tree branches touching or hanging over your roof should be trimmed.